Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Geneva Bible: 1560 Version

For my Christmas present, I got the Geneva Bible, the 1560 Version. It is a veritable treasure of Biblical History. It is the bible that the Pilgrims brought over on the Mayflower. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it when I looked at it at the bookstore I work at. The Middle English text, and also the "gloss;" which means there is some outer commentary on the outside of the biblical text. There is also the deuterocanonical books, as well. If you are also a student of this type of stuff, I would recommend this to you as well. I LOVE it.

Erik

3 comments:

RC said...

Hi,

Just wanted to stop by and see how you and your family were doing. I have not made it out to the bookstore lately. My friend did and was impressed. Have you ever seen this quote?

"When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes." ~ Desiderius Erasmus (1465-1536)

Thought you might find it amusing. One fellow book hog to another.

RC said...

Hi,

Have you seen the Puritan Reading Challenge?

It is 12 books in 12 months.

All are Puritan Paperbacks and you can get the bundle for $65.

http://timmybrister.com/2008/01/07/join-the-2008-puritan-reading-challenge/

I would have e-mailed you from your profile, but for some reason I could not get it to work.

God Bless,
RC
The Reformed Parishioner

ErikC said...

Oooh! That sounds cool! I wouldn't be able to do the reading now, but perhaps during the summer... I'll check it out, rc...

Erik