Sunday, March 2, 2008

J.I. Packer "Inhibited!"

You know, nothing ceases to amaze me with the liberal end of either the Episcopal Church or the Anglican Church in Canada. Michael Ingham, the infamous bishop who wants to create a Rite of Same Sex Blessings in the Diocese of New Westminster in Canada, has decided that, since the church that J.I. Packer is affiliated with is aligning itself with the Southern Cone, then they saw fit to "inhibit" him. Actually, it is as good as a defrocking. He will no longer be able to use his canonical duties within the Diocese of Westminster in the Anglican Church of Canada. You might know J.I. Packer from his book, "Knowing God." I work in a christian bookstore, and we can't keep it on the shelves! This just goes to show you their hubris. Anyway, it's just another one of those things to where J.I. Packer is probably thinking, "So what?" Dr. Packer agreed with his church's move to the Southern Cone, from all the reports I've seen. Anyway, this is just another nail in the coffin of the Episcopal Church, and the Anglican Church in Canada. Rest in Pieces.

Erik

1 comment:

RC said...

I love Packer and this is a badge of honor for him as far as I am concerned. I would like to share one of my favorite quotes of his from his book Concise Theology. It can be found in the chapter Humanness (page 71) which deals with what it means to be human and man's role as the image bearer of God.

"The statement at the start of the Bible (Gen. 1:26-27, echoed in 5:1; 1 Cor. 11:7; James 3:9) that God made man in his own image, so that humans are like God as no other earthly creatures are, tells us that the special dignity of being human is that, as humans, we may reflect and reproduce at our own creaturely level the holy ways of God., and thus act as his direct representatives on earth. This is what humans are made to do, and in one sense we are human only to the extent that are doing it."

It makes me pause and contemplate how human am I. That is, how well am I a reflection of my Heavenly Father. Just how much of a family resemblance is there between me and my God. Unfortunately there is not nearly enough resemblance.