Sunday, October 5, 2008

The 1662 Book of Common Prayer

After services today, our Assistant Rector, Fr. Craig Heenan, was starting the inquirer's class. The topic was the 1662 Book of Common Prayer, and I had to sit in. He went through the history of how Thomas Cranmer wrote the first Book of Common Prayer, and that he had a knack for it. This was also around the time of Henry the VIII, Bloody Mary, and Elizabeth I. One of the points that Fr. Craig forgot to mention what was referred to as the "Vestiarian Controversy." Elizabeth demanded that all clergy wear their vestments. There were some that didn't because they did not feel it necessary to do so. The clergy with this viewpoint were called "Puritans." Yup, you guessed it right; these are the ones whom went to the New World in search of religious freedom. I found it interesting that Thomas Cranmer was one of these! Fr. Craig told me that he went out of the country to get married and also to get away from the persecution of Elizabeth. It was an interesting time discussing the history of the 1662 Prayer Book. I sure do enjoy delving into the history of our faith.

Erik

3 comments:

Aggie said...

Yep. Good subject now that we're beginning to use the 1662 BCP. For those of us "new" to the TEo
and Anglicanism, it proved quite interesting.

RC said...

Sounds like an exciting study. I love the Puritan writers. One of my favorite books is Baxter's: The Reformed Pastor. Good to see you active again. I was worried about you. Hopefully Ike treated you decently. I think I am about to get active on my blog again. It has been a long hiatus for me.

ErikC said...

rc,

Yeah, we made it through ok. Just a little water damage. We got back our power the day after the hurricane. Didn't get our internet back until about a week or so after. I went through withdrawals!!!!