Monday, October 15, 2007

A little reminder

If people need a little refresher, this whole mess about Gene Robinson is not about homosexuality; it is about scriptural authority. It is about people who are in direct rebellion to God's Holy Word. They look at something and say, "It doesn't pertain to me, so I won't follow it." This didn't start with Gene Robinson and GC2003. This started with Bishop Pike and his denial of the Trinity. Then we have heretics such as Walter Righter and John Shelby Spong(my opinion). These individuals "married" homosexuals when they KNEW it was illegal. Spong still writes blasphemous books today such as "Saving Christianity from the Fundamentalists." He denies the divinity of Christ, and for the Trinity, for that matter. What a wonderful role model for the Episcopal Church to bring forth, eh?

Erik

4 comments:

Tom Foolery said...

MUST you focus on facts and historical accuracies? After all, Christianity isn't even required for the new religion! Oh no...I've made myself nauseous with my own sarcasm...

Rev. Daniel McLain Hixon said...

Isn't it really as much about Scriptural hermeneutics as it is Scriptural authority? After all there are "Oneness Pentecostals" who vigorously affirm the Bible's authority as God's Holy word and yet do not affirm the Trinity, much like the heretic you mentioned here. The doctrine of the Trinity is the teaching of the Bible AS IT IS AUTHORITATIVELY INTERPRETED by the Church through history (most especially, as affirmed by the first ecumenical council).
So doesn't it make as much sense to say that the debate is over the Church's authority to teach and correct the interpretation of Scripture as it is about belief in the authority of Scripture? Many of the Revisionists claim, and some of them at least must actually believe, that the Bible can be read to support their positions. So the real question, that the Communion MUST answer (though it looks like the ABC and bishops of the US church are doing everything possible to avoid answering this question) is what is the nature of the Church's authority - that of the living community across the ages (as embodied in tradition) in the interpretation of Scripture.

RC said...

Interesting discussion. I will weigh in when I have more time. Nice looking blog. My blog is actually: thereformedparishioner.blogspot.com

In Christ,

RC

ErikC said...

Daniel,

Hermeneutics is a dicey game even at the best of times. The scriptures say in Leviticus 18:22 that "a man should not lay with a man as he lays with a woman, it is an abomination." That seems pretty clear language to me. The exegesis is pretty clear. I would agree that there are some scriptures in the Bible that are open to some interpretation. I won't deny that at all.
Anyway, I would like to introduce myself as the owner of this blog, Erik Cowand. I am mighty thankful for some responses!

Erik